Monday, July 15, 2013

Cornered.

And now, rather than waste such poetry in the comment section, I am going to feature the words of another unsatisfied customer of Sherlock Peoria:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Having a fan moment.": 

Where are the "Sherlock" fan comments who point out that 221B Cumberbatch is on a corner? While you might be "be breathing flames by September!" right now you are blow smoke out of another orifice. I look forward to the post where you explain who BBC Sherlock's corner building is different from "Elementary". Please elucidate using words under three syllables for use Munchkins. 

I understand that such comments are tossed off in the heat of the moment, so if my overly sensitive comment moderation department tends to delete them before they get to me, I understand. We really don't want you to feel bad about such outbursts later on, as I'm sure I would. But this anonymous reader does raise a very good point: What about BBC Sherlock's corner building housing 221B?

I didn't think it was on a corner.

Honest.

Thanks to the wonders of Google image search, I pulled up a whole bunch of pictures of Speedy's sandwich shop and the 221B door right next to it, and neither the door, nor Speedy's, seems to be on a corner. Most shots at dead-on views of the row of building frontage.

But then I scrolled down a bit, found an angled street view, and indeed, the building to the right of the 221B door goes down and ends in a corner. If I was the rabid fan of BBC Sherlock that I often get mistaken for, I would have surely noticed this some time ago, but sadly, no.

Now that my interest was piqued, I had to see if there was a corner on the other side of Speedy's, but it sure doesn't look like it. And once you start looking at the row of buildings all packed together, you notice something else: going by the bricks in the story above the door, 221B actually seems to be in the same building as Speedy's. Which kind of means it's not on the corner.

But, hey, it's a TV show made in a country that's not my own, why should I care? But if you're gonna make a TV show here in America, well, you'd better adhere to the craftsma . . . oh, wait, I was talking about BBC Sherlock. Trying to stay out of trouble here.

Back to my summer meditations on how to keep every person on the internet happy come September. It's going to be a challenge, but as Sherlock Holmes once said, "We can but try."

6 comments:

  1. The 221b building certainly doesn't look like a corner building when shown on the series. We have yet to see if the elementary version will showing it looking like a corner building or not, but my expectation of them is pretty low at this point. I think they have way too many problems aside from putting 221b in a corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your last paragraph as:
    "Back to my summer medications [on how to keep every person on the internet happy come September.]"
    That would explain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house on Gower street that stands in for 221B Baker Street is not on a corner as far as I can see. There's an entrance left to it and Speedy's to the right when you're standing facing it. How does that qualify as corner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a look....

    https://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&q=riots+in+london&ie=UTF-8&ei=AQiUT7X8PMLKsgaN2ZyyBA&oi=mode_link&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQ_AUoAg

    https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Speedy's+Sandwich+Bar+%26+Cafe,+North+Gower+Street,+London,+Vereinigtes+K%C3%B6nigreich&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=51.526232,-0.136837&cid=16397531474166629094&cbp=13,195.1,0.7,0,0&panoid=I8tY9KcpseVqpnGMN8FMKg&hl=de&ved=0CA8Q2wU&sa=X&ei=hnXlUfzwBsa8igbbvYGQBQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry. I apologize. You were right about "Sherlock's" 221B not being on a corner. I am not ashamed to admit my mistakes in a public forum. I was unaware of where the smoke was emanating. I mistook on the entrance to the left of the show's 221B as the door of Sherlock and John's flat. I bow in deference. However, the whipping out of the urinary member and hosing down old BSJ's is in the eye of the beholder.
    July 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    That was my original comment with date and time in case your comment moderation department deleted it before you saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry. I apologize. You were right about "Sherlock's" 221B not being on a corner. I am not ashamed to admit my mistakes in a public forum. I was unaware of where the smoke was emanating. I mistook on the entrance to the left of the show's 221B as the door of Sherlock and John's flat. I bow in deference. However, the whipping out of the urinary member and hosing down old BSJ's is in the eye of the beholder.
    July 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    That was my original comment with date and time in case your comment moderation department deleted it before you saw it.
    July 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    That was my original comment and my original follow-up with date and time in case your comment moderation department deleted it before you saw it.

    ReplyDelete