Monday, November 30, 2020

November's end.

And so we come to the end of November.

National Novel Writing month has hit it's final deadline, and am I racing to hit that 50,000 word goal on this final night, or am I blogging here and now, writing what you're reading?

Let me check my official NanoWriMo word count . . . well, if I get in another one hundred and forty-seven words tonight, I will hit ten percent of the fifty-thousand word goal. Did I write fifty-thousand words this month? Probably. Was it all focussed into one single novel-length work of fiction? Nope.

And therein lies the key -- focus.

I wouldn't say I have attention deficit disorder, because it sure doesn't get in my way of getting anything done, hence, no "disorder." But I do have a problem keeping my attention in one place without a very purposeful, very task-oriented focus . . . and this month did not have that at all. In the end, I don't think I wanted it badly enough.

I did wind up finishing the book I wanted to finish writing in October, and got it off to my beta readers last night. I did write a couple of toasts, a short story or two, a bit of podcast content, ten other blog posts, a few long e-mails, and . . . hmm, seems like there should have been something else . . . oh, yes, five thousand words on that novel I was supposed to be writing.

On to the next thing, I guess. I have hopes for 2021, but at this point, don't we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment