Sunday, July 31, 2022

Blogaugust (Blaugust? Blogust?) Eve

 Lately it seems the frequency of my blog posts has fallen off, and even though I know the reasons for it -- sundry other regular Sherlockian output -- I can't help but be a little disappointed in it. A weekly Watson podcast and a monthly chronology newsletter are nice and all, but our most time-threatening ideas are always those that come with a regular routine. Take today, for example. "It's Sunday. Time to put out the podcast." Add a family social event, a little time with a friend, and the day is gone, outside of maybe an hour to fold laundry and watch whatever HBO's newest thing's latest episode is.  

We really just have a wealth of enjoyable things available these days, and focusing really becomes an issue. And blogging, that random outpouring of words on mostly Sherlockian topics, starts being the thing I just never get to, even though I have always enjoyed it and found it a bit calming and therapeutic.

So, for the month of August, I think I'm going to try to hit the keyboard on a daily basis for a blog post and see what happens. Does that make it "Blaugust" or "Blogust?" The first sounds like I'm going to write about Peter Blau, which would be an entirely possible way to fill a month. Peter's been a constant in Sherlockiana since I was birthed into this world. The later just looks weird and wrong. Blogaugust?

I realize, of course, that I'm totally jinxing my month by pointing at the skylights with my imaginary blogging bat as I step up to the plate, but I do work best with goals. And daily blogging might actually force me to pay attention to some other Sherlockian chores that need to be done, just to have material to write about. I don't want to become a Charles Blaugustus Milverton and start pouring out the blackmail material from my safe out of desperation. (Just kidding! I don't have a safe full of blackmail material -- unless it's just to blackmail myself, and that's not in a safe.)

So . . . Blogaugust? Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment