Saturday, January 13, 2024

Thoughts from the Saturday morning after . . .

 One of the things the greater share of humanity doesn't do well has always been allowing for two opposing thoughts to co-exist. "You're either for or ag'in it!" the crusty old-timer might demand, in that fictional headspace where archetypes live. But sometimes they do.

Earlier in the week, I did my semi-annual gripe about the BSI investiture system. "Oh, please, suh, may my friend have a shilling?" and all that. The non-transparent "benevolent dictatorship" might be pleasant mystery on one level, but it allows for entrenched bias on others. Yet, at the same time, I'm always very happy to see my friends get invitations and investitures. Why?

The answer is simple. The system may not make me happy, but everyone who passes through the societal gauntlet is happy at finishing the race, and I am happy that they're happy. Maybe sometimes even too happy, if I read a particular name wrong.

I don't participate in the nomination system, as one of the few voices to publicly criticize the BSI shilling business, the exclusive nature of the dinner, etc., I've never been a favorite of the ruling class, and as such, don't want to hurt anyone's chances by the powers that be seeing my name at the bottom of a letter of recommendation. I mean, you compare something to a Nazi eugenics program once or twice, you might get a reputation. It is what it is.

But Sherlockiana as a whole is a wonderfully welcoming world, and Zoom has opened it up even more. You no longer have to go to a particular Sherlockian's city or they come to yours to make a friend. We all do better in person, 'tis true, but the new connectivity is opening doors and offering opportunities like we never saw before the great pandemic. Our Sherlockian friends connect us to other Sherlockian friends and we can now meet more folks over the course of a year than ever before, across oceans and national borders that some of us might never cross. And when we do get to finally meet our new Zoom friends in person, what a grand thing that is. Having a lot of Sherlockians you hold dear is easier than ever, especially if you've been at this a while.

And when it's their special day, whatever the reason, you delight in their moment. Systems can be flawed, but our friends are still our friends. Both of those things can exist at the same time.

So congratulations to all who made the shilling list in New York for 2024 -- Rudy, Bob, Liese, Derrick, Fabienne, Danna, Jessica, Chuck, Daniel, Olivia, Maxine, Tom, and George. I'm quite pleased you get to be in the club that I will continue to hope figures our a way to open its doors to everyone one day.

We haven't eliminated the impossible in that hope, and as improbable as it remains, it's my truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment