Sunday, April 10, 2016

What if Watson had gotten Pegged?

Adding Tumblr to my social media rotation has been a bit like adding a new window to a house in Peoria that for some odd reason looks out on Hong Kong -- it's a different world out there. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, I started my "following" list based entirely on cards I picked up at 221B Con, which gives it a certain . . . well, not randomness, as it is based entirely on the sort of personality that wants to promote their bits at the con . . . "taking my own thoughts out of the process."

Which is a very helpful way to get out of one's normal head.

So this morning I was treated to a Twitter exchange between Simon Pegg and Amanda Abbington and immediately went . . . "What if Sherlock had been cast with Benedict Cumberbatch and Simon Pegg instead of B.C. and Martin Freeman?"

Well, for starters, it would be a completely different show -- we'd have probably gotten more comedy from the outset, rather than not diving in quite as heavily until Holmes returned from the dead. Pegg's war veteran Watson would probably be dealing with his issues a little differently than Freeman's. And for some reason, I'd think the Johnlock conspiracy might have been less the conspiracy and more likely a sure thing, though less fans would demand it. (For some reason, I just don't see Simon being the sex symbol that Martin has been taken up as, but who knows?)

But all that aside, I would have paid good money to see a Cumberbatch-Pegg version of Holmes and Watson, now that the coupling has been put in my head. Still would, actually, with no slight to Martin Freeman's perfection in the role. I'm just a big Simon Pegg fan, and now that he's been in Star Trek, seeing him in a Sherlock Holmes movie would just be a very good thing.

Since we can't break up Cumberbatch and Freeman at this point, however, if a Simon Pegg Watson was going to be in a new movie incarnation of Sherlock Holmes, who would his Sherlock even be? Cumberbatches don't come along every day, as Guy Ritchie and Rob Dougherty are surely well aware.

I think I'm going to have to let that puzzle hang out there for a bit. Let me know if you have any good candidates who'd pair well with a Pegg-ed Watson, as I will be wondering about it on my brain back-burner. (Some of us can't get a whole palace going.)

4 comments:

  1. That guy who plays Lucifer perhaps...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh come on, it's obvious.

    Nick Frost as Sherlock.

    Directed by Edgar Wright, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've pegged it Bill! Nick Frost ala, Thompson & Thomson in "The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn". Or perhaps, Tom Hiddleston, or maybe even Richard S. Grant.

      Delete
    2. That was my first thought too. Heh.

      Delete